Friday, June 20, 2008

Audible .aa to .mp3

I checked out a few applications that claimed to be able to convert Audible's crappy DRM'd .aa files to .mp3.  All of them failed (for me at least), except one:  Total Audio Converter from coolutils.com.  For a well spent $19.99 I am now able to automatically convert my Audible downloads to a format (mp3) in which they will work on my cell phone and my mp3 player, neither of which are otherwise supported by Audible.  Woohoo!

Now if only Amazon would provide direct MP3 downloads for Audible books (where possible).

I have the output folder for Total Audio Converter set to a Live Mesh folder, so that I can have access to my books both on my laptop at home and on my desktop at work.  And my friend Eric pointed out that Total Audio Converter supports command options, so I can completely automate the whole process from the point of downloading from Audible!  All I'll have to do is start the Audible download and voila!

No comments: