Sunday, August 10, 2008

Triathlon Time!

So, today was the triathlon at UNC Wellness Center. This was my first one, and it was a "Super Sprint Triathlon", which basically means that the distances are shorter so that you can sprint through each. Of course, i can't sprint through each, so to me "Super Sprint" just means "Super Short". :) It was a 250 yard swim, followed by a 9 mile bike ride, and finally a 5k run.

How did I do? Well, I am glad to have done it, proud of myself, yet at the same time a little disappointed that I didn't go harder. I think I had more in me than I realized. I wanted to take it easy on the run part because I was a little paranoid about working my ankle too hard so soon after my injury. Enough excuses, here's how I did:

I swam the 250 yards in 4:11, that was the 6th fastest in my age group. The swim was the part I was most worried about just because of lack of experience. I used to swim all the time as a kid before I left for college, but since then I've only swam laps a handful of times. I went out and swam laps twice before the race and did ok. Anyway...I'm very excited about my time because that included an unnecessary pause between laps to allow the people I'd caught to get a little distance on me so I wouldn't have to pass them! Next time I will go harder and just pass them!

The bike was a biiiiiiiiitch. So...one more excuse: I was on a little cheapo Target mountain bike, not a road bike. With the blessing of my friend Nicole, who convinced me to do this race in the first place, I'd like to blame my bike time on that. It took me 43:18 to do the 9 miles. The bike ride was a bit demoralizing because I'd be in my lowest gear peddling as fast as I could, and road bikers were passing me like crazy going twice my speed and barely peddling at all! Needless to say, I dropped from 6th fastest in my age group down to 17th (out of 18!) pretty quickly.

The run was the weirdest part. When I got off the bike, it took me a bit to get my land legs back, and when I did it was not pretty. First of all, during the swim the rain was pouring down outside, completely soaking my towel, socks, and shoes. This didn't cause any discomfort on the bike ride but during the run it was just *squish* *squish* *squish* *squish*. Very odd. Then, uselessly trying to peddle faster to keep up with the road bikes took a toll on my shins and ankles, and running hurt a bit at first. This is where the little bit of disappointment I have comes into play. I pretty much resigned myslef, because of the sore muscles and the ankle injury to just run really slow. I didn't realize I could do more until the last little stretch of the run where I sprinted to the finish. After the sprint I thought I was stupid for not going harder during the run, which took me a dismal 34:16.

So my overall time was 1:25:39. When I got home I got back in bed. ;)

Next time, if I can borrow someones road bike for this race, I want to see if I can knock 15 minutes off my total time (I figure I'll be able to knock 20 seconds or so off my swim time [maybe more if I train properly], bike faster and with less effort, and run faster with less pain and discomfort after the bike ride) my goal time will be 1:10:00.

1 comment:

the larsons said...

I'm impressed! I'm a terrible swimmer. And 5Ks are hard if you start them tired out. I'd be up for doing the 10K run leg of a tri if you ever want to do a team. But I suspect you like running, swimming, and cycling too much to share!