Sunday, April 08, 2007

Let the markets regulate themselves...to a limit

Tonight's 60 minutes had an interesting story about the government "nanny state" versus self-regulation. Here's the jist.

It hit a nerve with me because of a recent discussion I had with some friends about the possibility of a new law banning smoking in NC. At the time of our "discussion", the proposal bill would have banned smoking in all indoor public places, including restaurants and bars. To me that is just ridiculous. No smoking in a bar? Thats stupid. My argument is that it is not the governments place to force such a ban on private business owners. Their argument was that smoking in those places infringes on the rights of non-smokers at the same location. I gotta call bullshit on that one though, because those non-smokers are free to visit a non-smoking establishment. By the way, I'm a non-smoker.

If tobacco were an illegal substance, sure. In truly public places (ie, town hall, the library, etc), great. But not in a business owned by an individual - restaurant or not. If someone is so offended by the cigarette smoke or they worry about its effect on their health, then they should not visit that place. Perhaps they should choose a smoke-free alternative.

Fortunately, the bill was changed. Apparently someone added a cup of common sense to the bill, which is amazingly unique in government. The new version would not ban smoking in 21-and-over-only bars. Its interesting now also because the new bill will give local governments more control - so expect no smoking ANYWHERE in Chapel Hell in the not-so-distant future. Unless its marijuana, I think everyone in Chapel Hell smokes marijuana.

Fortunately again, this proposal was pulled from the agenda last week. Maybe later the NC house can try again at trampling on the rights of the business owners in this state.

In the 60 minutes interviews, Michael Jacobsen attacks Berman saying sarcastically, "Its terrible, we have health departments that are trying to clean up restaurants, environmental agencies that are trying to clean the air in the water, its just terrible. I think its great that government sometimes protects the public's welfare."

Jacobsen is right to some extent, but he is doing exactly what Berman says he is fighting against: exaggerating and over-stepping bounds. Berman said "Government has a role, but let the marketplace self-regulate". Thats right. Let the government regulate things that the public would have a hard time self-regulating fairly (ie, CFCs, cocaine, murder), but stay away from things that restrict my personal freedoms.

If I want to smoke in a bar owned by a private business owner that wants to allow smoking, then mind ya own! Don't take away my ability to eat a big fat cheeseburger if I want one. Sure, don't put that cheeseburger on the daily elementary school menu (thats called common sense, please make a note of it) - but give me the benefit of the doubt that I may be intelligent enough adult to regulate my own food intake. Make the health effects known to me if you like, but let me choose as long as my decision doesn't restrict the rights of other people.

No comments: