Friday, April 06, 2007

Modern technology at its finest

Oh, I'm sorry, this title is confusing. When I said "modern", I meant "modern in 1908". Unfortunately for the world, that technology hasn't improved much in the last 100 years. I'm not sure how we aren't all disgusted at the current state of the automotive industry. And what's to blame? I'll point my finger at the long history of corruption in the US Congress (Hello, ever heard of campaign finance reform? Ever heard of term limits? How many 90 year old senators do we need making laws about modern technology?).

In 1908, the Ford Model T got 25 miles per gallon. Thats much better than my Ford Truck gets today.

Avg miles per gallon of all cars in 2004: 21!

I hope the X-Prize Foundation will help open some eyes. You might remember it from the 10 million dollar prize it gave to the first private organization to enter space twice in two weeks. Now the new Automotive X-Prize aims for a 100 mile per gallon consumer (i.e. "production capable") vehicle. Awesome.

2 comments:

ChopperCharles said...

Yeah, and in 1908 the Model T had 22 horsepower, weighed 1200lbs, and had a maximum speed of 42 mph wide open. They also had spoked rims, crappy tires, and had to climb steep hills in reverse or the carburetor would run dry.

You're comparing apples and oranges.

Charles

Lance said...

Apples and oranges aren't that different.