Friday, November 10, 2006

Funeral

I dig this song by Susan Greenbaum, called Funeral.

I walk in executive footwear
my suits range from navy to gray
I'm king of the long cold hard stare
and I never mean a word I say

I dine with my digital pager
and I sleep with my cellular phone
everyone I work with is willin to wager
I'm gonna die at my desk alone

No one will go to my funeral
no one will care when I die
no one will go to my funeral
and no one will even cry

I hate when the sky turns sunny
I wont waste my time being kind
I don't do charity honey
but I'll gladly give you a piece of my mind

you'll do, what I tell you to do
you'll jump when I tell you how high
I'll spit you out after I chew
I'm not sharin my piece of the pie

office in the corner
not a single mourner
something something baskets [I can't figure out this line]
solid cherry casket
status: no apologies
60 second eulogy
titled on a business card
buried in a lumber yard

I'll mess with the beat of your heart
and I'll make you much more than afraid
I'll smile on the die that you start
then I'll make you so sorry you stayed

I live for the power and money
and I eat other people for lunch
I don't find anything funny
now I'm startin to have a hunch that

No one will go to my funeral
no one will care when I die
no one will go to my funeral
no one will even cry

I know I take more than I'm given
I know more than I'm gonna tell
I know that its good to be driven
I'm gonna drive myself straight to hell

dearly beloved, we are gathered here to remember this fine fine person
dearly beloved, we are gathered here to remember this ridiculous piece of drek

No comments: