Friday, November 10, 2006

Voting

There are lots of things about politics that just plain piss me off. Maybe the biggest issues for me are the lack of term limits in certain offices and campaign finance corruption.

Lately I was thinking about this past vote, and I had a thought (which remains undeveloped, as most of my thoughts do :P).

When we go to the polls, we all (usually) stand in line waiting to get in. Once we're in, I'm afraid that lots of people vote for everything they can vote for, even if they are not familiar with the issues surrounding each particular race. This annoys me. What annoys me even more are the people who just blindly vote a particular party.

So here's my idea:

Even though it would take longer to vote, and would perhaps lower the number of people who do actually vote in some races, I think there should be a different line for all the different sections of the ballot. Presidential and US congressional races in one line, state house and senate races in another line, judicial races in another line, local bonds in another, and so on.

Lots of people go to the polls to vote only for the president, but end up casting votes for other offices that they have no interest in or information about. Its an ignorant vote that can only hurt. If you have such an interest in a particular race that you're willing to stand in line for it, its more likely that you will make a more informed vote.

No comments: