Sunday, March 18, 2007

ACC Fans

It annoys me when I see people cheering against ACC teams in the NCAA tournament. Sure, I understand that its fun to hate certain teams like Duke or Carolina (I hate Duke myself). But after the regular season and the ACC tournament, there is no excuse not to pull for the ACC as a conference to do well. The better the ACC is as a conference, the better recruiting we can do as a conference.

The way I see it, even though I hate Duke, they let down the entire ACC when they lost in the first round. They played sloppy, and they did not represent what is supposed to be a "powerhouse" conference. It even looks worse considering all the bitching that coach K did about how the ACC deserved more teams in the tourney. Now all we have left is UNC.

While I'm on the topic of sports fans that annoy me, last week I sat beside these two guys at Peak City who were eating and watching the Duke game at the bar. I heard comments like "I hate that Nazi", referring to Coach K. You don't have to like him as a person but I don't know how you can not respect him as a coach. I heard "why is it that every game Duke plays in somebody is bleeding" (at this point it became obvious that they were UNC fans)? Ok, thats just a stupid comment, plain and simple (especially given the fact that the VCU player bleeding in this particular instance fell over his own teammate).

2 comments:

Rabbert said...

David Letterman (From "Top Ten Signs You've Been Watching Too Much College Basketball"):

2. The nagging voice in your head saying, "Cheney and I should really be focusing on Iraq."

Lance said...

That's just crazy talk. There's no such thing as too much college basketball. And there is certainly plenty of room in me for complaints about all kinds of things. :)