Saturday, March 24, 2007

TBD: ATT KMZ

update: I just realized the link for the .kmz file was off, it is fixed now. update#2 - if you have anything to add, feel free to send it my way.

No, I don't just like to use acronyms whenever I get the chance. :) I started a Google Earth map (.kmz file) of the ATT (American Tobacco Trail). Download the KMZ here. I'll update it when I can with more points of interest and pictures.


  • The red path is the trail itself, it is highlighted from the southern-most trail head in Apex up to the interruption point just south of I-40. Then it is highlighted again just north of I-40 in Durham up to the Durham Bulls Athletic Park.
  • The green push-pins are trailheads, or entrances to the trail where there is available parking.
  • The yellow push-pins are general points of interest, some of which have photos linked.
  • I will attach photos soon.


I find it pretty useful because I can plan a run or bike ride, and use the ruler feature of Google Earth to check out the distance of my route. For example, next time I am going to start at O'Kelly Church Rd and run north to Northeast Creek trestle, turn around and run south to Panther Creek trestle, and then back to O'Kelly Church Rd again. This will be a 4.6 mile run with a rewarding view at each turnaround point.

No comments: