Thursday, March 15, 2007

Good Eats: Homemade Corned Beef

Some people know that my favorite nerdy tv show is "Good Eats" on the Food Network. I like it because its the nerdiest show on tv about food, and I'm a nerd and I like to eat. Its a match made in heaven. :)

This past week there was a rare new episode of Good Eats in which Alton Brown shows how to make homemade corned beef. I'm going to try it. Basically you buy a brisket, soak it in a brine for 10 days in the fridge, take it out and simmer it with some aromatics, and slice it up.

I learned 2 things that I have always wondered about:

1. Why is it called "corned" beef? Because in middle age England, "corn" referred to the curing salts that were used. Corned beef is just cured beef.

2. What is the difference in pastrami and corned beef? Pastrami is corned beef that has been smoked and seasoned with pepper.

No comments: